Gifted children and adults are frequently misdiagnosed, particularly those who are twice-exceptional (2e). This much-anticipated second edition of a best-selling book is your guide to help prevent that. Some of our brightest, most creative children and adults are misdiagnosed as having behavioral or emotional disorders such as ADD/ADHD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, or Asperger’s Disorder. Many receive unneeded medications and/or inappropriate counseling. How can this happen? Physicians, psychologists, and counselors often are unaware of characteristics of gifted children and adults that mimic pathological diagnoses. Seven prominent healthcare professionals guide parents and professionals to distinguish between behaviors that are pathological and those that are “normal” for gifted individuals.
- The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5) and ICD-10
- Diagnoses most commonly given to gifted children and adults
- Learning disabilities and other 2e issues
- Allergies, asthma, and hypoglycemia
- Addictive disorders
- Issues for gifted adults
- Advice for selecting a counselor or healthcare professional
Support the Gifted! Foundation by purchasing this book
Order your book using the link below and support the Gifted! Foundation thanks to the bol.com affiliate programme.
Geef een reactie